Monday, November 17, 2008

Walk on the Wild Side


This weekend Anne and I had a stroll into town. Actually to be more accurate she walked 4 miles to Mamba Point on Saturday with some other mums, and I went on Sunday with the guys. It was supposed to be a joint venture but there were no baby-sitters available!

When you are used to driving around town it is easy to isolate yourself from the poverty. However when you walk 8 miles through some of the poorest parts of town, it really brings home just how much of a struggle it must be for the million or so people living in Monrovia.

Reminders of the war are still all around with burnt out buildings and street lights bearing the scars of bullet holes, yet the smiles on peoples faces are genuine and their greetings truly heartfelt. Could I stay so positive in their position? I hope I never have to find out.........

No comments: